Our Mission: Helping Ouray County youth explore the out of doors to foster personal growth and a compassionate world view.
The George Gardner Scholarship Fund (GGSF) provides financial assistance to Ouray County, Colorado youth who wish to pursue outdoor or experiential educational opportunities for personal and interpersonal growth.
The George Fund emphasizes and supports experiential learning opportunities outside of traditional educational settings for students who are motivated to explore outdoor educational programs. We believe that profound learning is often facilitated by time spent in the mountains, deserts, rivers and oceans of the world. These experiences provide an arena for leadership development and other lifelong skills.
Examples of Funded Programs
- Ridgway High School Senior Outward Bound River Trip – Seniors embark on a five-day Outward Bound river trip through Cataract Canyon.
- Ridgway School Learn To Ski Program – GGSF helps defray the cost of lessons, transportation and equipment rental so every child may participate.
- Ridgway School Learn To Ice Climb Program – GGSF developed this unique outdoor adventure program for 9th graders and provides financial support to enable every student to attend.
- Ridgway School Winter Adventure Days – GGSF provides financial support for middle schoolers to learn to snowshoe, backcountry and cross-country ski, and learn avalanche safety.
- Ridgway High School Southeast Asia Trip – GGSF helped numerous students experience the trip of a lifetime to Vietnam and Cambodia.
Examples of Individual Scholarships
- Night Sky Photography Workshop
- Freestyle Ski Camp
- Self supported multi-day backpacking trip on the Colorado Trail
- 3-day Level 1 Avalanche Course
- Wilderness First Aid & Wilderness First Responder courses
- Road Less Traveled service-learning trip to Costa Rica
To learn more about these youth and their stories visit our Blog. Featured stories:
- GOCO’s Generation Wild Campaign Encourages Kids to Get Outside ~ (The Denver Post)
- A Game Changer ~ Deb Willits’ Outward Bound Experience as a Teenager ~ 1974.
The George Gardner Scholarship Fund is a registered 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization.